Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm Engaged!!




Soooo I'm engaged!! Before I start, I want to encourage you to listen to this song. You will understand why as you continue reading :) I guess I"ll give a little background first and then go right into the story of how he proposed! Here goes:

Background:

Me and Dahl met because we are in the same ward and have been for a full year now. I didn't really know him the first semester, but we started hanging out a lot towards the end of it, and even more at the beginning of the next semester (so December to January). Mostly our apartments just started hanging out a lot, and we ended up becoming "cuddle buddies" for movie nights. I wasn't really sure what I wanted, because I was having a lot of fun dating lots of different guys (I went on 12 dates the month he asked me to be his girlfriend). I always denied that I liked him, to my roommates, friends, and even myself, but I am so glad I didn't lie to myself for too long!

If you want to hear our whole long story, you can watch the video we made on our trip to St. George... it's pretty long, though (and I haven't put it up). But I am ridiculously entertained by it, probably because it is me and about one of my favorite stories in the world. You can also ask me. The point is, I did end up dating him (obviously), because I really did like him. And then, I ended up falling in love with him.

We started talking about marriage fairly early in our relationship- probably about 2 months in. That did NOT mean we were ready to get married, but we both saw it as likely. After about 5 months, we decided that that was what we really wanted to do. We knew we wanted to get married around the end of the semester, so that meant we needed to get engaged soon, so we would have time for planning! We told our families and a few friends we were going ring shopping (of course, he told a lot fewer than me, because I just couldn't help it, but still). We went to Zales, Jared, Sierra West Jewelers, Shane Company, and, lastly, Rocky Mountain Diamond.

Tangent:


I wanna pause for a second to say I am SO GLAD we went there. They are a wholesaler, so they are not allowed to advertise. They work strictly based off of referrals, and you have to schedule an appointment to meet with them. Dahl's adorable cousin went there when she got engaged, and so they recommended it to us. Their prices were a great deal less than they would have been at any retailer, and the quality was much higher than we ever could have gotten somewhere else. They are certified separately of course, and they also let you look at the diamonds under magnification, so we could really see a difference between those and the ones at other places. The only drawback is the cost must be paid upfront, and they have no financing options (of course, you can use your credit card), but if you (or your man) can do that, it is so worth it. I am totally in love with my ring (but not as much as I am with Dahl.)

This picture does not even do it justice. I think it is the most beautiful ring in the world :)

So, I knew it was coming. Dahl was going to call my dad before he proposed, and he told me he wouldn't tell me when he did, because once he did, it would be a matter of days until he proposed, and he wanted it to be a surprise. I LOVE surprises! I was super worried I would accidentally find out, but Dahl did an amazing job of making sure I didn't and randomly saying how he was scared to even after he had done it!

Proposal:

The day of, I was at work when randomly I heard a guy standing at the front desk say my name! I was curious, because no one ever asks for me there. Then, Rinda, our secretary, said "Kellllyyy!!" in this excited voice! I ran out, and there were a dozen roses for ME! There was no note, though. So I was 99% positive they were from Dahl, but not completely. A few minutes later the guy came up with the note (he had forgotten to leave it), and it was from Dahl :) He wrote me a sweet message.

So, all day my co-workers were telling me he was proposing that night. I kept denying it, because I didn't want to get my hopes up, and I thought maybe he was just teasing me and trying to make me think he was proposing, but he would do it later. He had asked me on a date the night before, so I was excited! (We were to the point in our relationship that he usually didn't formally ask me on dates, he would usually just ask if I was hungry and we'd go out to eat. Stuff like that.) Whenever he asks me out formally, I get excited and curl my hair and make myself pretty. So, that night, he was pretty late for our date, but I brushed it off, because he said something about parking and some other excuse and he told me he was going to be late. I was running late too, so I was in the middle of curling my hair when he showed up.

He hurried me out the door, and told me that his mom had been really nice, and had done his laundry, because he was out of garments. I was instantly suspicious, so I continued to over-analyze everything he did.

If you read my last post on my sense of direction, you know that that is not my area of expertise. However, as we were driving, I kept feeling like we were going the wrong way. Finally, I asked Dahl if we were going a different way. He said yes, there's construction. Suspicious again. But I played along. He kept trying to get me to look at the sunset (he is incredibly observant, and he LOVES to see pretty things in nature). Finally, I was like, "Wait... are we going to the swing?" "Yeah.. it's a pretty sunset, we should watch it there!"

"The Swing" is a bench swing at this park in Cedar Hills (where he is from). The park is a 3-or-4-story park on the mountain. It has playgrounds and picnic areas, and at the top, it has a bench swing that overlooks all of Utah Valley. It is so beautiful.

We parked and Dahl handed me a poem he had written on a notecard. It said a bunch of nice things, of course, and at the end, it said that he had asked my dad and he said yes! I was SO surprised! I had no idea he had asked my dad. Before I had time to say anything, he took my hand and said, "Let's go to the swing!"

All along the way, his darling sister Savana had placed another dozen roses! Dahl picked them up and handed them to me as we walked up the trail.

"Dahl," I said, "Your guitar is up there..."

"What?!" he said, pretending to be surprised.

"And a video camera!" (Sad story: It didn't record- it was at the end of the tape. Oh, well!)



We got up there and watched the sunset and talked a little, until he got out his guitar and started playing. If you have read more of my blog, you will know that I am a huge sucker for Dahl singing to me. He played "Then" by Brad Paisley. It's the one I told you to listen to you when you started reading this. These are the lyrics:

"Then" by Brad Paisley

I remember, trying not to stare the night that I first met you
You had me mezmorized
And three weeks later, in the front porch light
taking forty-five minutes to kiss goodnight
I hadn't told you yet
but I thought I loved you then

Chorus

And now you're my whole life
now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you, girl
Like a river meets the sea,
stronger than it's ever been.
We've come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then

And i remember, taking you back to right where I first met you,
You were so surprised
There were people around, but I didn't care
Got down on one knee right there once again,
I thought I loved you then

Chorus

And now you're my whole life
now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you, girl
Like a river meets the sea,
stronger than it's ever been.
We've come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then

I could just see you, with a baby on the way
And I could just see you, when your hair is turning gray
What I can't see is how I'm ever gonna love you more
But I've said that before

And now you're my whole life
now you're my whole world
I just can't believe the way I feel about you, girl
We'll look back someday, at this moment that we're in
And I'll look at you and say
And I thought I loved you then
And I thought I loved you then

Sweet, huh? Then he got on one knee and asked me to marry him :)
And I said.... yes!

I'm so glad I am marrying such a wonderful man. Dahl is the nicest, sweetest person I know, and he treats me like a princess. I feel very lucky, and I am excited to see what adventures we will go on once we are married! I love him :)

PS- to see a whole blog about why Dahl is so great, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment