Monday, August 23, 2010

Kali and Shelby's Wedding!









So August 21, Shelby and Kali got married :). First of all, I wanna say that I have basically been prophesying this for like 2 years, so I was sooo excited that it finally happened! Kali was the first of our freshman apartment to get married, which was really interesting because she wasn't the first on anyone's guess list (we definitely all made a list of guesses... don't act like you didn't girls!). I'm pretty sure most people guessed me to be first, which I adamantly denied. And I was right!! At least about that part.



Kali and Shelby were married in the Lubbock, Texas temple. I was a bridesmaid along with Larissa, my other freshman roomie, and 3 other girls including Shelby's sister, Mariel, Kali's sister, McKenzie, and Kali's best childhood friend, Alex. Heather also came with me, which I was soo glad for! I love her :)



So, I guess I'll start at the beginning. We had to drive there, so that's a good 15+ hours in the car, depending on how much you stop. The way up, Heather and I drove with a guy named Jared, who we didn't know. He was 18 and getting ready to go on a mission, and had just finished going to school in the summer at BYU. It was really fun riding with him, he drove the WHOLE way (don't worry we offered to take turns) and we just chatted with him about girls and our lives and stuff.

We finally arrived in Lubbock and were taken to our room around 4am. We were sleeping in McKenzie's room (Kali's sister). We were woken up around 11am, when the other group came in. They got basically no sleep, so we were glad we got there so much earlier.

That night we went to a rehearsal dinner type of thing, at a steakhouse. It was good, we got so full! We didn't really know what to do at the dinner, so we came up with a game where we all look at a boy there and go down the line and wink. You just hafta hope that he doesn't look at you when you do wink, or it's awkward. We didn't know anyone there, so it was kind of fun! We also made up a song for Kali and Shelby... but I don't know if they'd appreciate us posting it, so I won't... yet.


That night, Heather and I decided to go on a walk. We got so lost, and wandered around Kali's neighborhood for a good hour until we finally got ahold of Kali and she graciously came to pick us up. At 2 in the morning. It was pretty bad.

(Yep, that's us! We look much prettier here than we did when we were picked up, though :) )

The next day Kali's brothers, Kip and Micah, took us (Heather, Larissa, and me) on a tour of Lubbock. We saw her schools and banks and restaurants... we even saw Texas Tech! We ended it at a delicious shaved ice place, and it was a lot of fun to get out of the house.

That night the groomsmen invited us to come hang out at the hotel pool with them! It was lots of fun. Then we had a bachelorette party with Kali. We did butts on the wall. It's a tradition dating back to our freshmen year. It was super fun, I didn't know how much I missed it. Basically, you just put your butts on the wall and laugh. And we sang too. And did little dances with our feet :)


Then, Heather, Larissa, and I stayed up till 4 in the morning talking. I love those girls :)

The next day was the wedding!!! Larissa did her hair and sent her off early.Then we all got ready and helped McKenzie get ready, too. She is such a little Kali, it was so cute.

(See, there she is in the glasses next to me! Kali huh?)

We were ready to go when we learned that they were missing the waiver from the judge that said they could get married! People were searching all over the house! It was about that time that Mariel came in to tell us we were holding up the whole wedding party. Umm... no. The missing waiver was.

Moving on, Larissa and I went to get the flowers. We stashed them in the nearby stake center and ran to the temple. We were excited to discover that while we were getting the flowers, the sealer decided that as long as they brought in the waiver by Monday, he could seal them. Hooray! We waited for probably a half hour, becoming more and more disappointed as person after person who was not Kali exited the temple.


Finally, Shelby led his bride out the doors! They were so cute and happy. Shelby turned to Kali and said something like, "I'm gonna kiss you now, okay?" And this is how that picture turned out:


Ahh aren't they adorable?! I just love them! They are just so in love... I loved watching them.

We then proceeded to take pictures for about an hour.


It was so hot that once we got back in the car everyone got in a fight. That was awkward.

(This is Robin, Shelby's brother and one of the groomsmen, in the car. It was hot! (temperature haha... or maybe both :) ) )

Then, we went back to our room and waited for the luncheon. I fell asleep, but Larissa and Heather claim to have stayed awake. McKenzie came in awhile later, and I woke up and asked her if the luncheon had begun. She said yes, it had been over for awhile. We ran to the kitchen, where they told us the meat was all gone, but we could have some potato salad, cole slaw, and jello. At first I thought they were kidding but they weren't... At first we were kind of disappointed, but then we learned that we were not the only ones who had been left out; the bride, the groom, 2 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaids, and 1 Heather were not fed. Oops! The others had already gone to Taco Bell. I thought it was an interesting choice since that's where Kali and Shelby work, but kinda cute at the same time.



We decided to make ourselves useful, and went to Walmart to get things to decorate their hotel room. We got Hugs, Kisses, Dove chocolates, red roses (we already had petals from white roses), red and white balloons, and pretty candles.

We couldn't decorate until the reception, so we went on over to the church building. We stood in the wedding line for awhile... I've never really understood why people who aren't relatives stand in line, but I kind of enjoyed it. One guy told me it was "great to have [me there]" and I almost started crying because it was pretty much the nicest thing anyone had said to me all day. (I am not usually so emotional, but it was a combination of stress, hunger, sleep deprivation, and one too many snotty comments.) Luckily, I was able to compose myself before the next lady came through the line.


Kali and Shelby then did the cutest thing! Shelby has been wanting to do it for a long time now. This is how it went down:

They announced the cutting of the cake. First, Kali fed him very nicely. Then, he fed her, and smeared it all over her face. She acted really mad, and stormed off. He yelled "HEY!" At this point, half the people around us were thinking it was a real fight, so everyone was saying things like, "It's their first fight!" and "Wait, what did he do to her??" Then he started to sing Michael Jackson The Way You Make Me Feel! chasing her around the room until she finally stopped and let him dance with her. It ended wonderfully, with the most perfect kiss I have ever seen in my whole life. Seriously. More perfect than any movie.


Then we left to go decorate the hotel room. It looked pretty awesome. Take a gander (haha that's funny to say huh?):





We got back just as Kali was about to throw the bouquet! And guess who caught it?! Yours truly!! :) Yay! I've never caught one before! I felt pretty special :)

After that we went back to the house and packed everything (including a lot of presents) in the car. Multiple adults came up to try to convince us to sleep before we left, but we were ready for home!

The drive home was really fun! For awhile, as in probably 8 hours, I was in charge of keeping the drivers awake. So I chatted it up with Heather and Larissa while the other would sleep in the back. It was really fun to catch up, and I love talking, so I was glad I had such a great job. I think I talked too much, though, because my throat started to hurt. I also drove for about 2 hours, so that was fun too.

We stopped for breakfast around 6 or 7, and it was amazing. Our waitress was really cute, probably 30s or early 40s. It was funny because she asked Larissa if she was our mom. Ummm.... awkward. For both of them. We decided it was because we look pretty young, and were acting pretty young (Heather asked for egg with the pokey thing... Larissa translated this as over medium). But Larissa does not look old, she is just pretty (see how pretty she is in the pictures?). Also, pretty sure the waitress also thought we were retarded because I went to the bathroom and when I came out she was waiting in line, so instead of going out the main door that lead from the restaurant into the bathrooms, I turned the wrong way and walked straight into the men's room! Cool...

After eating, exhaustion hit me so I fell asleep almost instantly. I slept for a good two hours and then was up again, talking and such. We finally got home around 3, and I am still recovering from my weird sleep schedule.

Going to Texas was way fun, and I'm so glad I got to see my dear friend Kali get married. She was such a beautiful bride and I just love her and Shelby together. They are perfect for each other :)














That being said, I am sure glad to be home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment