Monday, July 26, 2010

When My Mommy Came to Visit!!

This is late, but I never wrote a post about my mom coming to visit! Mostly this happened because, sadly, I didn't take any pictures with her while she was here which is, btw, RIDICULOUS. I felt so sad about it, I didn't want to write about it because I couldn't post pictures. I'm still sad, but I figure this is the best way to kind of repent. So, here goes!

My mom came to visit because she and my Aunt Carol were helping my grandparents move. They have already moved into a very nice retirement home, but a lot of their things are still in Cannonville, Utah (population 100-200ish?), where they have lived most recently. So, they all trucked it up there to organize, clean, pack, and transfer their things.

She flew in Tuesday afternoon. She and Heather took me to lunch at Zupas. It was delicious! Mom got a new phone that could take pictures where your face you end up having a mustache or a clown face or something like that, so we had fun taking silly pictures!

That night, we went to dinner at Iggy's. The group included: me, Heather, mom, Dahl, Aunt Carol, Jonny (Carol's son), his wife Tiffany, their son Joshua, and my grandparents. If you were counting, that is 10 people. It is also the first time my mommy met Dahl! It went well, she loved him of course. And he loved her too. Wanna know how I know? Because two minutes in, he turned to me and said, "It's only been two minutes, and your mom is exactly like you!" That means he loves her :). (He also explicitly said he liked her, but this is less important.)

One funny thing that happened at dinner: The waitress came around and refilled everyone’s waters except for Dahl’s. Jonny, Tiff, Heather, and I told him that he should switch with my mom who was totally turned around talking to my aunt or my grandparents. He did, complete with straws, and we waited for about a minute. Finally she turned back and Dahl said, “You drank that water pretty fast!” “Oh yeah I love water!” she said, completely unaware of the fact that she had had nothing to do with getting rid of the water. “That was completely full like a minute ago, she just filled it up!” he said. “Yeah, well, I don’t like to waste time! I mean, why wait?” she replied. By this time we were all giggling, so she was like “Why is everyone laughing at me?” in a sad little voice. We laughed and explained it to her… we thought it was a pretty good joke. After dinner, we parted ways so we could go drop my Grandma and Grandpa off. Dahl went home, and Heather, Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, and I piled into the car.

Speaking of my Grandma, she loves Dahl. And he loves her too. I love that she appreciates him so much. I heard that once she was on the phone with Nicole and she said something about how we had come to visit her and Grandpa and proceeded to praise Dahl for 20 minutes. This was after we visited one time and talked to her for awhile... I bet it was about 2 hours? The thing is, my grandma is a very good talker. She is also sharp as a tack. She has the funniest stories, so we love to listen to her talk.

So while we were riding in the car, Grandma was saying something about how he is a dear precious boy, and then she goes, "Now Kelly, I want to ask you a personal question, and if it’s too embarrassing to answer in front of your mother (at this point Grandpa interjected, “Remember she’s in front of you!”) Grandma continued, “Well just say I plead the fifth. Is he a good kisser?" I said yes, he is, and she said, "Oh, good! There is nothing better than a sweet boy who is a good kisser too! I mean other things are important too, but… (Grandpa interrupted again and said, “Rita I think that beer batter is getting to you!”) Anyway, she is super cute with him, and he was excited when he heard they were coming.

The next morning my mom left to go to Cannonville, and she came back Friday afternoon/ night. We were supposed to play in Provo, but she said that tons of Grandma and Grandpa's things were still up there because they couldn't fit everything, so she drove Heather and me with her back to Cannonville that night. We packed more things in the car, and slept in Cannonville that night. We got there so late (midnight?), and left so early (5am) that we didn't even see our hosts.

On Saturday, we drove from Cannonville to Grandma and Grandpa's new home (picking Dahl up on the way) and helped them unpack. This leads into a kind of interesting story: We were carting around all the stuff on this dolly, and once we had dropped it off, Heather and I decided that it would be fun to ride on it while Dahl pushed us around. It became even more fun when we passed the lunch room, because tons of elderly people were very entertained by it and pointed and smiled and nudged each other. So, naturally, we started to put on a show. We posed and did stupid tricks on the cart. Somewhere in that, we leaned too far forward on the cart. Then I fell forward and put my foot down when it tipped. It rolled over my poor little foot, which soon swelled and bruised. I kind of limped for the next few days, but it got better each day. Dahl was the cutest little doctor, and he kept getting ice for it and setting it perfectly so it wouldn't fall. He arranged rubber bands to keep it in place, and made sure it was cold enough. My grandma kept commenting on how good he was being, and I think my mom appreciated it as well. He really is very good at taking care of me.

We had KFC for lunch, and helped organize things (although mom did most of that as I was sitting having my foot be tended to). Grandma showed us some poems she had written, among other things. So, we stayed and talked for a long time, until we left to go to Dahl's parent's house for dinner.

It was fun to have my mom meet his parents and sister, I just knew they would like each other! We sat and talked for a few hours, until we decided it was time to go home so we could get some sleep. Mom and Heather went to Walmart to shop for us while I sat at home, because walking on my foot around a store seemed to be a bad idea. They got us lots of fun things!

The next morning we (Mom, Heather, Dahl, and I) drove to Idaho because it was Dahl’s mission president’s homecoming. Heather and I pretty much slept the whole drive, so mom and Dahl chatted about scouting and preparing for a mission and such ( I woke up to random parts of the conversation). I was glad they could have such a nice conversation, and Dahl was glad because he loves talking about scouting! We arrived about an hour early, so we got the best seats ever for sacrament meeting. Then, Dahl and I went to a luncheon. Dahl’s mission president was super cute. He came up to me when we were first in the chapel (I was with my family, Dahl was out socializing with other missionaries at the moment) and when he found out I was dating Dahl, he gave me huge thumbs up and he was like, “I probably should be giving him thumbs up, I can tell you are high quality!” Later, when we were leaving the luncheon he shook our hands and said that we looked “equally yoked in goodness.” Haha. Sounds like a mission president huh?

Then we went to visit my Aunt Carol and Uncle Brett in Shelley. They don’t live there, but my Uncle Brett has family there. While they are not related to me, we did visit them two Thanksgivings ago and it was a BLAST, so we knew them. We played the word game (if you look on Heather’s Facebook, she posted a note that tells the story we made up), which is a game where everyone goes around and says one word and you try to make a story. We played it multiple times when we went there for Thanksgiving, and it is so fun. I haven’t played it since, because I have always been afraid to because I don’t know if anyone can be as fun at playing it as this group. The more inappropriate it gets and the more times you include people from the group doing ridiculous things, the better.

After about two hours, Dahl left along with most of the guests, leaving Uncle Brett, Aunt Carol, the people who lived there, and me, Heather, and mom. I had my Uncle Brett give me a blessing, which was nice. He is kind of rough and loud on the outside, but he is a big teddy bear. I just love him!

Then, mom, Heather, and I left to go to our hotel. We went to bed fairly quickly, and then explored BYU-I, where Nicole will be attending school starting January. We got her some fun clothes as well. Finally, we drove back to Provo. That night, we went to Walmart again (my foot was much better) and got lots of other important things. That day we did 8 loads of laundry (6 of them mine) went shopping, and cleaned and organized the apartment. My mom was such a help!

The next morning Mommy left. Her trip was super busy and I wish we had more time to just have fun, but it was great to see her. She is the best mommy in the world and I love her so much! I'm so glad she got to come visit me!

No comments:

Post a Comment